"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver



Monday, May 19, 2008

Cherry Creek Race - 5/17/08

Just got back from the Cherry Creek race. I almost beat my nemisis this time, T.N.G! Securing second place off the line, I was able to stay in first place for the first two 17-mile loops. Then, out of nowhere, she passed me on a really dusty/sandy 4-wheeler road. In a flurry of dust, I must have hit a rock (at 4th gear speeds!) and kart-wheeled over my handlebars, catapulting face-first into the sage brush and dirt! I contemplated not finishing, as I sat there and in the dirt and cried, but figured finishing sure beat sitting on my butt in the sun in the middle of nowhere.

Trish was able to secure her lead, and despite my demolition, I placed 2nd. I took a trophy, a black eye, and a gnarly bruised thigh home from this battle!

Chris didn't race this race but he played Pit Crew and is, of course, my biggest (and cutest) fan! It's always is so exhilarating to see him cheer me on each race!

When we got home, there was an entire forum about what a "classless" terrible person I am on MotoUtah.com - which is really funny, you should read it (my response is the 11th post from the top):
http://www.motoutah.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=30&func=view&catid=37&id=34185#34185

Here is a video of my start if ya wanna watch it:

I refuse to ride in the Beginning Women's class anymore - it sucks because we're forced to ride a large size bike (like my 250) with little smaller people riding a range of bike sizes, which creates a plethora of problems. So, I'm going to officially move up into the "Big Bikes" class and race in the Women's Class with the Big Dogs for this next race in June.

Frankly, I'm completely terrified to ride with the men, as we watched a whole lotta people flying off bikes in a dust cloud at high speeds this weekend. Unless you've seen it first-hand, you'll never understand the challenges of the starting line, the skill required by the technicalities of the courses, and the determination one must summon to finish under a sweltering sun in a 100-mile race!

Check out this picture of our good friend Cole "Cornholio" who rolled into the finish line at 60 MPH in 6th gear pinned, on nothing but RIM, missing his rear tire and rear brake, for the last 16 miles! He still placed 20th over-all!!! This just illustrates the "stuff" you've gotta be made of to compete in this arena.
No one is sure I have the strength or skill to be able to "hang" with the big bikes--- but I'll guess we'll see soon enough!!

GO BIG OR GO HOME!
NEXT RACE:
Bull Hollow
June 16-17
Monticello, Utah

1 comment:

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

Well, since you didn't call me either while i was in town I guess we are both at fault on that one. I guess you will have to plan a trip to England. :)
The race looks like it was packed with excitement as usual. Good luck in the new division in June. :)

Ask Buddha - like the Magic 8 Ball!

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich