"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver



Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Adams Canyon - for Hollie & Erin

In celebration of the newest additions to both Erin's and Hollie's families, I thought it'd be cool to spend a day in the place that the 3 of us loved the most, growing up. You guys already have all the baby stuff, so for my present to you both, I thought I'd take my camera and put together a little photo journal of our greatest place! Thought it'd be fun for you guys to see the memories we had of being kids while you are in the middle of raising your own!

It took about 4 1/2 hours (what is it, like 3 miles high?), but I MADE IT to the freakin' top of that canyon, all by myself! It was great, you guys would have loved it - the weather was perfect (a little rain), and the water was low. It's changed a lot since we've been up it - it's much more "groomed" than before. But all the classics are still there: the grooling sandy switch backs in which you say "Holy crap, why am I doing this?!", then the glory of that canyon opening up to you. I laughed out-loud when I saw the "Swiss Family Robinson Tree" in which Erin and I made elaborate plans to one day build a home in the branches and live with the squirrels... LOL. Then there's the tree I was forced to climb 30 feet into the air, OVER the river, to see my carved initials... Then there are all the awesome pools that fill in run-off season, that I remember swimming in. The waterfalls - and the continual contest to see who'd get submerged in the FREEZING water first! Then past the camp ground where Stephanie and I tried to camp out one night, only to hike ALL the way down in the middle of the night because were were COVERED in spiders and Box Elder Bugs!!! I always think of Erin when I get to that scary wall we have to cross on all fours, and Erin: "Oh no! I dropped my water bottle in the river!" and David Powell climbing all the way down there to get it for you... TENDER! And then there's the long stretch in which Hollie tripped and slid down, belly first! - not so funny, but still, kinda funny! And the final 3rd waterfall - hanging out in the sun and playing in the pool of water.

What a great day. Miss you guys both a ton, and wish were all together again to enjoy this. I love you gals, and hope you're both doing well playing Mommy!

-Christie (boo boo)

2 comments:

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

Christie, that was such a great start to my day today, thank you! Just so you are aware, I laughed out loud when I saw the hill picture in which I tripped and damaged myself.
My thoughts exactly on the 'scary wall of death'. I declare a date onthe day that I am back in Utah that we all go on a hike into Adams Canyon and have a glorious time with no children, just us children! :)
Thanks again. That was awesome!

Unknown said...

I think Hollie is right. We are seriously due for a good hike. The question is can my fat but even make it past that first sandy part? And I was super scared of the wall of death then, I think I would have a panic attack now! Lets do it, and I'll bring supplies for our tree house. I love the pictures! So many good memories. Now I'm a little sad.

Ask Buddha - like the Magic 8 Ball!

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich