"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver



Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fly Fishing Ogden River

So Eric, my bro, and I woke up super early this morning and decided to try and fly fish the Ogden River. Having never officially tried to fly fish on my own, yet alone instruct a completely inexperienced person, it was interesting to say the least! I've gone a few times with Chris, but never without him.

I got hooked up with a really fabulous deal on some very nice gear, so after we grabbed coffee, we loaded up and hit the water, just below The Oaks restaurant. The weather was PERFECT and the water was really great. Apparently the dam was open, so the river was much deeper and faster than we were anticipating, but it was still really fun.

We ALMOST caught a little Brown, but it didn't get far out of the water before it ripped off the line, dang it. I did, however, successfully catch a tree and Eric!! LOL - (don't worry, he didn't get too hurt!) So, minus 1 furry little fly (which ripped out in the tree) and part of Eric's hand, we came out of the experience unscathed, a success by any measure!

I really do love fly fishing, I've decided. I just kinda suck at it still. But I have mastered the Surgeon's Knot, so I'm well on my way, watch out!

2 comments:

Hollie and Mike Christiansen said...

I have always wanted to try fly fishing, but then there is the standing in a river thing. Me and water just dont mix that well. :)

Kerstin said...

u look like u need some waders! jason bought me a pair and i have only been once but it was way fun!

Ask Buddha - like the Magic 8 Ball!

"Well behaved women rarely make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich